Mon, Jun 6th, 2016 Now that the 5 Questions You Have About Custom Work are answered, here are more details on How the Actual Creation Process Works.
Once you sign on the dotted line and put your deposit down - the real work and fun begins. Each Custom order goes through 7 steps, which take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks. Here’s what you can expect.
1. DRAW UP Ideas. Before you even commit to working with me, we’ve already discussed what you like and the feel you want for your home. Now I’ll create 2 drawings so we can begin to refine the ideas.
2. SIGN Off on the Drawing. This can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on how our communication goes. Either way, I begin creating your piece after you sign off on the drawing.
3. THE CREATION Process. Each custom piece is in queue. When we’re at the drawing stage, that means you’re next in line for the creation stage. Once I begin creating your sculptural wall art piece, I take photos of the creation process the whole way through. There will be a photo-share album where you can watch the creation of your art piece unfold. Each time I upload new images - you get an email. Tile making and clay design takes about 5 days on the table. Your wall art then goes onto the drying racks for anywhere from 7 - 18 days.
4. THE BISQUE Firing. Each wall sculpture is fired TWO TIMES. The bisque firing is #1. All tiles must be completely dry at this stage. The kiln fires for 36 hours and cools for 48 hours.
5. COLORS & GLAZING. Before I begin glazing, we have another chat to double check on the color palette. This is officially the halfway point of the project. Your second payment is due at this time. At this point it may have been 4 weeks since you received your first drawing, so it’s a good time to revisit colors. Once the art piece is on the table you’ll get photos & videos of the glazing process in your Shared Album. Glazing usually takes 2-4 days. The second and final glaze firing takes 2-3 days, about a full week through this whole stage.
6. FRAMING. We are almost done! I’ll build the frame, paint it and prepare to assemble your wall art. This takes about 7 days. We will review delivery options and if I’m delivering it to you, we will schedule a delivery date.
7. DELIVERY. Wall art is either shipped or personally delivered & installed. The final payment is due upon delivery. If the artwork must be shipped, wooden crates are built, each panel is packed separately in museum quality foam and instructions, mounting boards and paperwork are included. All shipped artwork is fully insured. Along with your custom wall art creation, you receive a Certificate of Authenticity and entry into my 'Collectors Club' where special offers are presented throughout the year.
"It was even more impressive than we had imagined..."
READ What Clients say, IN THEIR OWN WORDS
SEE Brenda McMahon Ceramics' Installation Gallery.