Thu, Nov 15th, 2018 I have done kitchen backsplash tiles and shower insert tiles, but this is the first fireplace surround project I have completed.
Though I have had many requests and inquiries for fireplace tiles, no one made a commitment til David & Becky did.
It's been a full project schedule. First, there was a home viewing and conversations about concepts. I drew a few pictures, David and Becky wanted a horizon sun so we adjusted some details and the work in clay was ready to begin.
In this case, I created an actual replica of the fireplace on plywood to use as my template throughout the project. Once the tiles were laid out, the work in clay began. I kept the tiles mostly flat, due to the installation requirement. We are installing over existing brick tiles.
The greenware tiles dried on the shelves and then went into the bisque firing. Once cooled, they went onto the glazing table for color and then the final firing. The glaze was cooling just as my annual ArtJones Studio Tour was about to get underway, so I let the tiles sit safely in the kiln for about a week. Once the weekend was over, the kiln was unloaded and the template came in handy again to work out the mastic and grouting issues.
My studio assistant Cathy and I are ready to go install this new fireplace.